The History of Dallara Automobili
Gian Paolo Dallara in front of his company
Gian Paolo Dallara graduated at the polytechnical institute of Milan
with a degree in aeronautical engineering in 1959 and began his work
with Ferrari. Then he changed to Maserati and 1963 he came to Lamborghini,
where he designed the "Espada" and in 1966 the "Miura". At the end
of 1960 he came to De Tomaso, where he worked on the design of Formula-2
and Formula-1 vehicles of the Formula-1-Team of Frank Williams.
In 1972 he created his own company "Dallara Automobili" in Varano
Melegari near Parma, Italy. His first modern product was a 1000 ccm
sport prototype, followed by further prototypes with 1300 and 1600
In 1978 Dallara designed his first Formula-3-car, which won the Italian
championship in the same year. Dallara-Formula-3-cars have won world-wide
championships, also in Italy, France, England, Germany, Switzerland,
Japan, South America, Russia and in Austria.
From 1988 to 1992 "Dallara Automobili" designed Formula-1-cars for
the Scuderia Italia, which were driven by Caffi, De Cesaris, Letho,
Pirro and Martini.
Since 1997 Dallara designs chassis for different teams of the Indy
Car championship. Dallara vehicles won the championships in 1988,
1999 and 2000 and the 500 miles of Indianapolis in 1998, 1999 and
2001. Dallara also built up a close relationship with vehicle manufacturers
such as Lancia, Alfa Romeo, AUDI, Toyota and Honda, consulting on
design, research and production of racing projects.
In April 1988, Honda gave Dallara the responsibility of aerodynamic
development and the manufactering of the Honda Formula-1 chassis.
In April 2000, Dallara signed an exclusive agreement with the French
team ORECA for the supply of racing cars with Chrysler engines, that
compete in the 24-Hours of Le Mans.